Permits for tenting that will be processed by Made in the Shade or by the customer of Made in the Shade shall comply with Fire and Life Safety Codes. For specific or detailed requirements, refer to Chapter 31 of California Fire Code, and Chapter 2, Title -19, and Chapter 10, Regulations of the State Fire Marshal. Other 2016 California Fire Code Sections may apply to some permits. An operational permit is required on tents having an area in excess of 400 square feet. (CFC 105.7.18). Permits are issued by the governing jurisdiction/agency where the tenting will be erected. Fees, inspection and application requirement time frames will vary.
PERMIT PROCESSING BY MADE IN THE SHADE
- DEPOSITS- A deposit for the Job Contract, as outlined in the Made in the Shade Reservation Documents, must be received before a permit application will be filed by Made in the Shade. Time requirements/deadlines for permit submission will vary depending on jurisdiction.
- EXPEDITE FEES- Reservations confirmed within a 4 week window prior to the delivery date may be subject to additional permit fees (expedite, in person submissions, etc.) imposed by the issuing agency and additional processing fees by Made in the Shade. Made in the shade will not process a permit if a rental reservation is confirmed 1 week prior to the delivery date.
- CERTIFIED DRAWINGS – Permits that will require certified or engineer stamped mechanical drawings will carry a certification charge that will be based on the requirements instructed by the issuing agency.
- INSPECTIONS – Made in the Shade will require that inspections be attended by the customer or a representative thereof. Inspections requiring any personnel from Made in the Shade to be present will billed at $100.00/hr plus travel to and from the event site unless the inspection occurs immediately following an installation where a crew is on-site.
- DIAGRAM – Diagrams that are submitted with permit application must match the set up. This is a requirement of the issuing agency. This means that changes made by you, the customer, must be made with the transfer of information in mind. Encroaching into the 4 week window prior to the inspection could incur additional fees by the issuing agency.
- FIXES/ADJUSTMENTS BY FIRE MARSHAL – If any changes are made by the inspecting fire marshal at the site that differs from the approved diagram submitted as part of the permit application that needs to be addressed by Made in the Shade must be billed (if applicable) for travel to and from the event site, any additional equipment that could be required and/or additional crew time to make the change(s).
PERMIT PROCESSING BY CUSTOMER
- PROCESSING BY CUSTOMER- Customers who wish to process their own permits Customer will be required to show proof of permit application to Made in the Shade prior to the delivery of any equipment. The following will be required:
- DIAGRAMS- Any diagrams/detailed drawings created by Made in the Shade specifically for a customer’s application for permits will be billed at a rate of $75/hour for the creation of that diagram and all revisions.
- FLAME CERTIFICATES- A flame certificate relevant to the rented tent can be supplied to the customer at no charge.
SAFETY PACKAGES DEFINED
- SAFETY PACKAGE- A safety package will be required on all permitted tents. Safety packages will be either “Non-Electric” or “Electric,” as defined below. Customers supplying their own Safety Packages or elements of must provide documentation stating the items they have provided.
- NON ELECTRIC SAFETY PACKAGE- Includes Exit signs (No illumination or emergency flood lighting), non-electric “No Smoking” sign and up-to-date fire extinguishers* as required in the fire code. This option is activated when there is no access to power at the site or the event is held during daylight hours.
- ELECTRIC SAFETY PACKAGE- Includes Exit signs that illuminate and provide emergency flood lighting, non-electric No Smoking sign and up-to-date fire extinguishers* as required in the fire code.
MAX OCCUPANCY LOAD
- A maximum occupancy load will be placed inside the tent as required by the fire district. The formula for seating is determined by sq. ft of tent divided by 15. The formula for theater/standing is sq. ft. of tent divided by 9.
*1 fire extinguisher for the first 1000 sq ft, and 1 additional per each additional 2000 sq ft or fraction thereof
MADE IN THE SHADE MUST ADHERE TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FIRE INSPECTOR(S) PRIOR TO
AND AT THE TIME OF INSPECTION. ONCE A PLAN HAS BEEN SUBMITTED IT CANNOT BE CHANGED.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS PER 2016 CFC, CHAPTER 31
1. Tents or membrane structures shall not be located within 20 feet of lot lines, buildings, other tents or membrane structures, parked vehicles, generators or internal combustion engines.(CFC 3103.8.2 CFC 3104.19)
2. An approved certification of the fire-resistive treatment must accompany this application. Membrane structures or tents shall have a permanently affixed label bearing the identification of size and fabric or material used. (CFC 3104.2 CFC 3104.3)
3. NO SMOKING signs with block letters shall be conspicuously posted. (CFC 3104.6)
4. Fire extinguishers and other fire-protection equipment shall be provided as required. (CFC 906 CFC 3104.12)
5. Show required exits per CFC 3103.12. Exit signs shall be installed at required exit doorways and where otherwise necessary to indicate clearly the direction of egress when the exit serves an occupant load of 50 or more. Exit signs shall be of an approved self-luminous type or shall be internally or externally illuminated by fixtures supplied in the manner specified by CFC 3126.96.36.199.
6. A detailed site and floor plan for tents and membrane structures with an occupant load of 50 or more shall be provided with each application for approval. The tent or membrane structure floor plan shall indicate details of the means of egress facilities, seating capacity, arrangement of the seating and location and type of heating and electrical equipment. (CFC 3103.6)
7. All combustible decorative material, floor coverings and any other effects must be noncombustible or treated and comply with CFC 807 and CFC 3104.5.
8. When more than 200 seats are used, seats shall be fastened together in groups of not less than three or the seats shall be securely fastened to the floor (CFC 1029.14)
9. All heating and cooking equipment shall be approved by the Fire Marshal (CFC 3104.15)
10. Heating and cooking equipment shall not be located within 10 feet of exits or combustible materials.(CFC 3104.15.3). Outdoor cooking that produces sparks or grease laden vapors shall not be performed within 20 feet of a tent or membrane structure. (CFC 3104.15.6)
11. Obtain an electrical permit from the Building Department prior to commencing any electrical work.
12. Membrane structures having an area of 15,000 square feet or more shall be located not less than 50 feet from any other tent or structure. (CFC 3103.8.3)
13. Guy wires and other support members shall not cross a means of egress at less than 8 feet. * NOTE:
THESE REQUIREMENTS CAN CHANGE WITHOUT WRITTEN NOTIFICATION AT ANY TIME.